The Social Justice Action Committee (SJAC) working group on University DEI Initiatives recommended that a University DEI Council be created to address diversity, equity, and inclusion issues and concerns from across the university community. In spring 2021, Deans and division leaders were asked to nominate individuals to serve on the Council. Several at-large members were also invited to serve. All individuals were invited and the first Council meeting was held in August 2021. The Council meets monthly.
The charge to the DEI Council is to:
- Facilitate communication of DEI initiatives in schools, colleges, and divisions and across the university and foster collaborations between them on DEI-related efforts
- Receive recommendations from the Social Justice Action Committee working groups and develop implementation strategies
- Monitor DEI-related data, and work with the Campus Climate Study group to assess the climate for DEI across the campus
- Review DEI plans at other, peer institutions, to identify best practices that can help inform and strengthen Wayne State DEI efforts
- Advise the President and the Chief Diversity Officer in matters related to DEI initiatives across campus.
DEI strategic planning
The University has released its 2022-2027 Strategic Plan, and diversity, equity, and inclusion remain a strategic focus. In the Fall of 2022, the Provost asked Colleges to create or update their DEI strategic plans. The DEI Council has supported this effort in the colleges by creating a DEI Strategic Planning template. This template was released to the Deans of the Colleges in the fall of 2022. For more information, reach out to the co-chairs of the DEI Strategic Planning Working Group.