Mission, vision and values
Statement of purpose
The Wayne State University Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion recognizes, acknowledges, and affirms the many ways in which people of different backgrounds, identities, and experiences contribute to a rich, vibrant campus community, and creates spacesphysical and virtualwhere people see and feel included in and belonging to the Wayne State community.
We exist to guide the institution in creating and sustaining a university community that recognizes, includes, values, and supports the many diverse people who live, work, study on, and visit our campus and extension centers.
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will guide Wayne State University in becoming the destination of choice for people from diverse cultural, social, and educational backgrounds to study, live, and work in a safe, inclusive, equitable, supportive environment.
Mission and commitments
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Wayne State University leads the campus in shaping the university into an institution that values and supports people of diverse identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, and reflects the many cultures represented in our city, state, region, nation and world.
To accomplish our purpose, vision, and mission, we commit to:
- Collaborating and cooperating with all segments of the campus (academic and administrative) and the larger Detroit community to ensure that units and individuals across campus recognize and take on their own roles and responsibilities for creating an inclusive campus environment for everyone;
- Employing an equity, inclusion, and accessibility lens in ongoing assessment of the campus climate, faculty and staff hiring and retention practices and policies, undergraduate, graduate, and professional student recruitment and retention; curricula, and policies and practices that are affected by or affect members of underrepresented and/or historically marginalized groups;
- Leading institutional initiatives that enhance cultural understanding and awareness for students, staff, faculty, administrators, and others;
- Engaging in established and emerging high impact practices that sustain a campus climate that is safe, respectful, welcoming, and inclusive;
- Serving as advocates for, partners and collaborators with, and consultants to members of the university community in supporting the needs and interests of diverse populations, with particular attention to those belonging to groups that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in higher education and the society at large.